Antjie

Antjie

Monday 17 September 2012

Putting Order On Your Tongue

The Proverbs 31 Woman



Proverbs 31:26 says: 

 “She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.”  NIV


Putting order on our tongues can be an uphill battle. James 3:2 says there is no one who speaks without fault – none of us are perfect. I testify to this truth as just this week I said something unkind about someone I love and had to apologize.  This scenario reminded me that I can memorize verses and know what I SHOULD and should NOT say – but unless I THINK before I speak – I am going to falter with my words and hurt others. 

As women striving to be like the Proverbs 31 woman – we need to:
  1. Practice self-control with our emotions. When we speak rapidly – for example when we are lecturing our kids – usually we become unkind.
  2. Watch sarcasm – it usually reveals a bitter heart.
  3. Watch critical remarks – they are red flags revealing a proud, envious, selfish or angry heart.
Challenge: 
Be quick to notice others’ strengths and slow to point out others’ flaws. 
Let your husband hear you teaching your children God’s wisdom. I think this encourages them to see and hear their wise wife. 
Work on filtering your words. Strive to be gentle and gracious toward your husband, and children FIRST (who you are at home is who you really are!) and then to others outside the home. 
Purify your heart through the reading of God’s word and put aside all anger, bitterness, malice, slander, envy and self-pity.  

It’s your turn – chime in – what part of this challenge is hardest for you?

Walk with the King, by