Antjie

Antjie

Friday 22 February 2013

Becoming a Woman of Influence


That's what was featured on the cover of the magazine. The fifty faces of women who've been recognized as having significant influence. A truly impressive collection.

So I don't know why it had this effect on me, but I looked at those 50 women and immediately felt small. Inconsequential. Unknown.

A nobody.

Because, of course, my picture will never be on the front of that magazine. Not that I've ever aspired to such a place. But still...

I was somehow struck by my insignificance.

I know it's not right - or even reasonable - for me to think this way. Yet it managed to stir up so many of my insecurities and self-doubts that I began questioning whether I'd do anything meaningful with my life. Ever.

After all, who am I? No one really.

The dark, defeating doubts swirled around as I brewed a fresh pot of coffee for my husband and continued with me as I trudged up the stairs to his home office. I poured him a cup and then began pouring out my pitiful-me thoughts before him. Poor meaningless me. I jabbered on and on about how I never amounted to much and probably never would.

When suddenly and unexpectedly my pity-party came to a complete stop.

I realized that my husband wasn't paying the least attention to me. He wasn't really listening at all, but smiling at something in front of him. What? What was distracting him?

Then I saw it. Right smack in the middle of his desk sat a nicely framed photograph of his beloved wife.

Yes, that would be me.

Nobody else. Not one single photo of the Fifty Women of Influence was placed before him. Just little, simple, wifey me.

And then came the moment of revelation: I am a woman of influence.Tremendous influence. You see, it's my face that's featured on the cover of his life.

Because amazingly enough, the Lord has chosen this woman to be that man's wife. Which means it's me - and only me - who completes him.
  • Who recognizes his strengths.
  • Who balances out his weaknesses.
  • Who builds him up. 
  • Who understands him like no one else.
  • Who encourages him when he's down or discouraged. 
  • Who sleeps by his side at night. 
  • Who stands behind him. 
  • Who brings out the best in him. 
  • Who loves him for who he is.It had never occurred to me before, but I'm becoming a woman of great influence.
But you know what else? So are you.

You also are a woman of consequence and have a powerful role to play in your husband's life. You are the most influential woman in his world. And to my way of thinking, that is one of the highest honors and privilege a woman can hold.

So it looks like I am significant - even if it's only in the eyes of one man. Yet it's the one man who matters most in my life. My photograph is placed prominently where all the world can see it. Or better yet - where he can see it.

One woman of influence. That's me. And that's you. Congratulations.