This recipe, Homemade Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, has mandarin oranges, coconut, pecans and of course, carrots. It has just the right touch of cinnamon, too.
Once the ingredients are prepped, heat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl combine 1 cup melted butter, the brown sugar, sugar and eggs.
Beat on medium speed, scraping the bowl often, until smooth.
Add the mandarin oranges (do not drain the oranges as you want to add any liquid that the oranges are packed in too), vanilla and orange zest.
Continue beating until well mixed. The oranges will break apart as you beat the mixture.
Now add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Make sure you reduce the mixer to low speed so you don’t send flour flying all over the kitchen, and beat, scraping the bowl often, until well mixed.
By hand, gently stir in the coconut, pecans and carrots…
…until well mixed.
Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool the cake completely. I usually place the cake on a cooling rack so the air will circulate and cool the cake more quickly.
When the cake is completely cooled, it’s time to prepare the cream cheese frosting. Combine all the frosting ingredients, except for the chopped pecans, in a medium bowl.
Beat at medium speed (start on slow speed and slowly increase to medium so the powdered sugar won’t go flying all over), scraping the bowl often, until smooth and creamy. I think cream cheese frosting is simply beautiful – it’s so smooth and silky.
Frost the cooled cake by gently spreading the frosting.
Feel free to get a little fancy as you frost and create a design in the frosting by swirling the frosting with the spreader. There is no right or wrong way to frost a cake, just have fun!
Now, sprinkle the chopped pecans over the frosting.
Voila! Homemade Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting – and it’s not just for birthdays.
- 1 cup Butter, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, undrained
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 medium (2 cups) carrots, grated
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Chopped pecans, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13x9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup butter, brown sugar, sugar and eggs in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add mandarin oranges, 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and orange zest. Continue beating until well mixed.Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Stir in coconut, 1/2 cup pecans and carrots.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine all frosting ingredients except chopped pecans in medium bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Sprinkle with pecans, if desired.