- 2 1/2 - cups milk
- 1/4 - cup heavy cream
- 2 - egg yolks
- 2/3 - cup sugar
- 4 - tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 - teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 - tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1 - 2 ripe banana, sliced (not over ripe)
- 1 - 9 inch pie shelled, baked (homemade or store bought)
- 1 - 2 recipes meringue topping using meringue powder
- Let's start by getting the pie crust prepared. You can prepare a homemade one crust recipe or use store bought pie crust.
- Prick the bottom and sides of your pie crust and bake until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling. Whisk together the milk, cream, and egg yolks.
- Combine the sugar and the cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk in the milk mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes stir the mixture constantly until it comes to a boil , about 5-7 minutes. Boil and stir the mixture for one minute. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and butter.
- Let the filling cool down a bit before adding the sliced bananas. When cooled, add the sliced bananas and pour into the pie shell and smooth.
- Prepare the meringue topping and spread on top of the pudding mixture.
- Place under your ovens broiler for a couple minutes to brown the meringue topping. Make sure to watch carefully because it only takes a couple minutes.
1 - 2 recipes meringue topping using meringue powder. Follow the directions on the back of the can of the Meringue Powder for Meringue Pies. I double the meringue recipe. It is the perfect amount for pies. The ingredients required will be meringue powder, sugar and water.