Antjie

Antjie

Monday 3 June 2013

Starting with the Seeds

Written By: Gabreial Wyatt

My oldest son amazes me with his memory. His knowledge of God’s Word seems to sink in like a sponge soaks up water. I wish I would have taken the time in my younger years to really seek out God’s word. Maybe the Scriptures would have stuck like they do in his mind, and I would have an easier time remembering them now.

As a parent, as well as a home educator, I can see how important these little seed implants in our daily lives are. If we haven’t planted a particular seed of God’s Word into their hearts or mine, the struggles of daily life seem arduous, confusing, and without direction. When we have planted a proper seed for a particular task, for instance teaching our children that when someone is sorry, we forgive them, the action of forgiveness is easier flowing out of our mouths and out of theirs. Even though we may deal with pride and hurt during our times of anger, saying we’re sorry or giving our forgiveness to one another, we know in our heart of hearts it is what God would want us to do because His word says so.

Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (NIV)
As home educators, it is important to give our children a well-rounded education with typical subjects of reading, writing, math, and grammar, but I cannot emphasize enough the importance of rooting them in God’s Word as their foundation for running this race.

During difficult times of parenting and discipline, I dream of the day when Scripture will just flow from my mouth, and the importance of obedience as children, and as children of God, will become second nature. I know I take comfort in the times when God’s Word speaks to me though the Holy Spirit. I feel I have a friend right there with me saying, “You can do it, keep on keeping on, it will get better.” Then along comes a nudge for me to get back into God’s Word. Not only do my children need his Scriptures written on their hearts, but I do as well. I’m failing them, as well as myself, if I’m not living up to the same expectations I have for them.

I think about the difficulties and challenges that my children may face as adults, and the challenges I’ve faced since becoming an adult. We’re heading into the teen years here, and I can say that this is one of the most challenging times as parents we have experienced. Truthfully, I only feel peace and feel like I can manage, when I get into God’s Word and keep digging and planting. Although it is exhausting at times, in the end I know it is what I’m here for.

The question I believe we should all pose is: will they be ready? Will we have taught them enough of God’s Word so that they use the Bible as their guide for life? Will they seek him during times of trouble or in fatherly friendship? My heart aches for this closeness for them. My heart aches for this closeness for all of us.

This is the part where wisdom and training come in. What exactly is wisdom, and why is it my job as a parent to impart it to my children? Strong’s Concordance lists a Hebrew meaning of the word wisdom as “understanding, wise, prudence, knowledge, sense, discretion, and policy” just to name a few. If I’m obeying God’s command, Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it,(Proverbs 22:6 NIV) I believe that I’m showing them how to prayerfully understand His Word, how to show discretion, prudence, and knowledge in his desires for their life, thus imparting holy wisdom into their hearts.
Proverbs 2:1-6

1 My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding,
3 and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding,4 and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.6 For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

How awesome the fifth verse, “Then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God?” How wise would we be if, as parents, we gained a sliver of his knowledge each time we read his Word to further strengthen the hearts of our children, as well as ours. Soon those slivers turn into pieces, and those pieces turn into a heart full of Him, and we’re running our race with God’s strength behind us.

I hope you’re encouraged to start your race with God as your priority, even if you’re now in the midst of those teen years. It is never too late to get God’s Word into their hearts, and prayerfully seek out his wisdom for their futures. I can’t expect to produce God-loving children, with faith, belief, and full understanding of Him, unless I start with his Word. I can’t expect them to make it to the finish line, unless I gave them the proper sound off.

Holy Spirit, guide me into understanding. Help me to gain wisdom so that I may train my child in the way that is pleasing to you, and in a way that creates a perfect foundation for them to run this race successfully for you. My faith rests on your Word, your truths and your promises of everlasting life. Thank you for guiding me as a parent. Thank you for hearing my cries for a Godly and peaceful home.