Antjie

Antjie

Thursday 8 August 2013

An Ant Story


Large, reddish black ants in bathroom again. Lights on- they’d scurry to hide; lights off- they’d come right back in.

Using my Nancy Drew skills, I followed one that seemed to be on the way out. He wandered off his path a bit, and eventually came to a back corner of the window sill.

There was a hole about an eight of an inch in diameter, plenty big enough for several to come and go at the same time. From somewhere outside, they had been able to chew or bore that hole, which hadn’t even been there two weeks before.

Amazing the persistence, and team work, of ants. I have seen tiny ants gather around a crumb, or a dead bug, and drag or lift (!) it to move it. It seems when they have a goal, nothing deters them. They might have an interruption (like the lights coming on), they may get sidetracked or even off-track, but they get right back to it. They keep the focus on the goal, determined. Like our marathon bike touring friends, who were riding in the downpours. They had a goal to meet and raise funds for a worthy cause.

This was a good reminder, and example to me, of a verse that was written in the front of a Bible, given to me many years ago at confirmation. The pastor wrote, next to my name, Phil. 3:14. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

The redeeming part of this ant story is that it reminds me to stay focused, to keep first things first, and to persevere, to keep on keepin’ on. Good news is that I (and we) don’t have to do it alone. Thank you, Lord.

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:9