Antjie

Antjie

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Step-by-step Chicken Pot Pie/Pies with a Cream Cheese Crust...


One of my favorite Comfort Foods is Chicken Pot Pie. There is just something about it, the aroma and the feeling of satisfaction that it gives you in every bite.

Three things about this recipe caught my eye.
One, the crust was made from scratch with cream cheese added oh my goodness!! Two, the filling and sauce looked so smooth and flavorful just like what I have been searching for. And three, Tanya stated that the recipe was adapted from Taste of Home! I love Taste of Home recipes, so you see I just knew this recipe had to be great.

My husband loves Chicken Pot Pie, so I knew he would be in for a treat. I was so excited to make this recipe and get his thoughts. Off I went making the crust and filling. The crust was so easy to prepare and smelled wonderful. Now onto the filling and the sauce, It was DIVINE!!! I was in heaven!!!!!!!!!! I could of sat and ate that filling right out of the pot LOL. This pot pie baked up so beautifully and my husband loved it.
I am so excited that I have found in my opinion to be the perfect Chicken Pot Pie Recipe. The crust turned out so flaky and the addition of the cream cheese was very tasty. If you want to save time you can purchase or roast you own chicken for this recipe. Just have the roasted chicken for one meal and save the leftovers to make this wonderful pot pie. You wont be disappointed, I promise.

The only thing I did differently in this recipe was, I made one large pot pie instead of individual ones. I had a hard time locating the individual pie pans. I finally did at my local Kroger so I will use them next time. I also left out the celery seeds in the crust. If my kids saw those theywouldn't eat it! They would of said whats all those little spots in the pie? yuck!! I would rather just leave it out so I know they will eat it.



For the crust shell: 
combine the flour, cream cheese, butter, and if using celery seed add to the bowl. Cut in the cold cream cheese and butter until you have a crumbly mixture.

   
While I am preparing the pie crust, I start cooking my chicken. If you have some leftover roasted chicken you can use that. I did not, so I just add some olive oil to my stove top grill and brown some seasoned chicken breasts. Then cut into bite size pieces.

   
Now back to the dough, start working it with your hands, kneading until you have a ball of dough:

   
Roll out your pie crust. If using individual pans then roll out the crust and trace and cut a overlapped piece of dough for each individual pie tray. I made one large pot pie so this crust is enough to make a regular size pot pie as well. If making individual servings, you will get three servings out of this recipe. Roll out a total of 6 squares for 3 bottom crust and 3 top crusts. I roll my dough onto the roller to make it easier to transfer to my greased pie plate.

   
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour, garlic, and spices till blended.

   
Slowly stir in the warm water,

    
milk and

    
bouillon cubes.

   
Slowly bring a soft boil and stir constantly for about 2 minutes or until thickened. The consistency should coat the back of a spoon.

  
Remove from heat and add the frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, celery, whichever you prefer!), then add the chunked chicken.

  
Fill your pie plate or individual pie pans.

  
Just like this.

  
Put the tops of the crusts over this and seal the edges. You can use a fork to make a fluted edge. Make a criss cross slit in the center

  
Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. If making one large pot pie you will have to cook it longer. Just watch the pie so it doesn't brown to quickly. Serve the individual pot pies over mashed potatoes or right out of their bowls. If the pie tins came with covers you can also cover and refrigerate the baked pies or freeze your pot pies before baking whenever you need a quick meal.

*If freezing, wrap the uncooked pot pies with foil and then place in freezer bags. To bake just remove from the freezer thaw a bit and bake. Or to save cooked individual pot pies let cool and cover with each individual cover the tins came with. Store in the refrigerator and then just pop them in the oven to warm up for a quick meal.


I have included some pictures of the little individual chicken pot pies. Just in case you choose to make little ones instead of one big pot pie.

Before Baking

All done!!! Perfect little pies for each person.  Chicken Pot Pie or Pies

Shell crust:
  • 1-2/3 c. flour 
  • 2 t. celery seed (optional) 
  • 1- 8 oz. cream cheese, cold 
  • 1/3 c. butter, cold 
  • 1/4 t. salt 
Filling:
  • 1 whole chicken, pulled from bone and chunked 
  • 1/3 cup - real butter 
  • 1/3 cup - flour 
  • 2 t. minced garlic 
  • 1/2 t. salt 
  • dash of pepper 
  • 1-1/2 cup - warm water 
  • 2/3 cup- milk 
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes 
  • 1 cup- frozen mixed veggies 
  • 3 - individual sized tin pie bowls 
How to:
For the crust combine the flour, cream cheese, and butter in a bowl. Cut in the cold cream cheese and butter until you have a crumbly mixture. Then starting working it with your hands, kneading until you have a ball of dough: On a floured surface, roll out the dough in to a flat square. Take one of your tin bowls and trace and cut an overlapped piece of dough. Place it into the bowl and softly press it into the corners: You will get three servings out of this recipe. roll out a total of 6 squares for 3 bottom crust and 3 top crusts. Or you will get one large pot pie like mine.

For the filling for our pie or pies. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour, garlic, and spices till blended. Slowly stir in the warm water, bouillon cubes, and milk. Slowly bring a soft boil and stir constantly for about 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and add the frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, celery, whichever you prefer!) and chicken. Fill the shells: Put the tops of the crusts over this and seal the edges. You can use a fork to make a fluted edge. Make a criss cross slit in the center: Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve over mashed potatoes or right out of the bowl. If making one large pot pie bake about 30-40 minutes. Watch it carefully so it doesn't get to brown on top.

**NOTE: If not serving these over mashed potatoes, add cooked cubed potatoes to the filling.