Antjie

Antjie

Monday 29 September 2014

A Golden Day


The subtle beauty of this day 
Hangs o'er me like a fairy spell, 
And care and grief have flown away, 
And every breeze sings, "all is well." 
I ask, "Holds earth or sin, or woe?" 
My heart replies, "I do not know."

Nay! all we know, or feel, my heart, 
Today is joy undimmed, complete; 
In tears or pain we have no part; 
The act of breathing is so sweet, 
We care no higher joy to name. 
What reck we now of wealth or fame?

The past--what matters it to me? 
The pain it gave has passed away. 
The future--that I cannot see! 
I care for nothing save today-- 
This is a respite from all care, 
And trouble flies--I know not where.

Go on, oh noisy, restless life! 
Pass by, oh, feet that seek for heights! 
I have no part in aught of strife; 
I do not want your vain delights. 
The day wraps round me like a spell 
And every breeze sings, "All is well."