Antjie

Antjie

Wednesday 17 September 2014

"I could see tomorrow in her eyes"

"Perks Pearl of Wisdom"

"If you are going to try something new dive into it head first. I mean commit to the plan and stick to it. Don't dance around the edge like a kid afraid the water is too cold. Go to the deep end and jump."                       
                                                                                                                                            Bob Perks


"I could see tomorrow in her eyes"
By Bob Perks

There is something about eyes that really grab my attention.

I mean eyes can take my breath away. I can begin a conversation with someone and get lost in their eyes.

The familiar, "Eyes are the windows to the soul" certainly comes to mind. I'm not exactly sure I feel that. I don't believe that your eyes permit me to see any further than what I can see. But what I can tell from them speaks volumes.

There are certainly all kinds of medical conditions that are revealed by looking closely at your eyes.

I was told about high cholesterol issues through an eye exam.

That's not what I am talking about here.

I met a elderly couple in a McDonald's a long time ago. I had the chance to comment to the man about how loving they appeared.

"I don't know what I'd do without her," he said as he turned toward me.

"You depend on her," I said.

"I live for her. I need her," he said as he struggled with his breathing.

"She has an incredible smile. It comes from loving you so intensely. I can see it in her gentle ways. She didn't just leave you there, she placed you there in the booth with care and compassion," I told him.

"We don't have a lot of time left together," he said. "So we don't just live our days..." He paused as he jolted back raising his head as if in pain. "We don't just live our days. We consume them like a banquet," he said.

"You seem to be in much pain. Yet, here you are out and about. Most people would succumb to these challenges. What's your secret?" I asked.

He shook his head and although the apparent stroke had distorted his otherwise handsome face, he smiled and in a whisper said, "Did you see her eyes? When we go to bed at night, she kisses me and says 'I'll love you forever.'

I see tomorrow in her eyes. It's all that it takes for me to go on."

When someone is speaking to you always look at them. Give them your full attention it's like honoring them, like saying I value what you have to say.

I see people who look up and away when they speak to others.

I see people who scan the room as they are "listening" to you.

I see hope in the eyes of a child.

I have watched families when they are clinging to the words of a doctor sharing an updated diagnosis on their loved one. Their eyes are locked on every word spoken as if they are floating in mid air. They watch to see the "truth" in what they are hearing or the sugar coating on an otherwise dismal report.

"Do you understand? the doctor asks.

"Yes, I see what you are saying."

There is beauty in the eyes of those in love for they sparkle and glimmer in celestial pools of God's own design.

In sad eyes there is pain, but I have often found God there looking out at me. He is saying, "I am cleansing the spirit. Let them cry until all the fear and doubt is washed away."

One last glance at the couple across from me confirmed it all.

"Her eyes tell me that everything is beautiful. I have nothing to fear. She is my angel sent by God," he said.

I smiled and finished my meal.

As I stood up to leave I he said, "I hope you have a great day."

I leaned over and looked into her eyes and said, "Tomorrow looks beautiful, too."

"I believe in you!"
J
Bob Perks